Friday, September 16, 2011

A Return to Academia

I am in Jerusalem. I like it a lot. It has given me an opportunity to return to academics. I feel like a scholar again. We study everything theoretically and analytically. Business classes all apply very closely to the real world. I like studying for the sake of learning new things. It feels very old-fashioned.
 
I am still not really over my jet lag. To compound the issue, I woke up with a sore throat this morning. I feel sick. I took some Mucinex, but it still bothers me. I might take a nap even though it may destroy my sleep cycle that I have worked so hard to create.
 
Yesterday, we went to Hebrew University. We had a student come and talk to a group of us. He wanted to spend time with American girls. We told him that there was no way to contact us and he was disappointed. I felt a bit bad for him. He seemed nice and hopeful. We are not supposed to tell people anything pretty much and I forgot what I was supposed to say. We didn't tell him anything he could use to find us, but it reminded me to be more careful.
 
I love looking out the window and seeing the wonderful view every day. We can see the place where Christ ascended into heaven, where he was crucified, and where he was buried from our bedroom window. It is amazing. I love walking the streets and hearing about the politics. I love politics. Yesterday we had a forum where an Israeli foreign affairs spokesperson came and spoke to us. He had a lot of good points. I love talking to people from both sides. I am constantly shocked by how one-sided people are. Mormons can be so stubborn. There is nothing about being Pro-Israeli in Mormon doctrine, but somehow people seem to be stuck on the idea. That is not to say that I am Pro-Palestinian. I am fascinated by both sides and I think it will take time and leadership and creativity for a proper solution. It is also interesting to meet the people involved in this conflict. They are very different peoples. There is a lot of diversity within each group. It is obvious to me that one of the purposes of this center is to educate students on both sides of the conflict. Unlike a mission, where we are removed from politics, I believe this experience highlights and celebrates informing the participants in political ideas and opinions.

1 comment:

  1. that is so you politics and listing to the sides is so you the reason a lot of Mormons are simply pro Israeli is because they are conservatives don't you think

    ReplyDelete